Eden Girls’ School, Coventry judged ‘outstanding’ in first Ofsted inspection
Another of our schools has achieved an ‘outstanding’ Ofsted result, we are pleased to announce.
Staff, governors, pupils and parents from Eden Girls’ School, Coventry returned to school after the summer break to learn that Ofsted had declared the school ‘outstanding’ in every category at its first inspection.
Ofsted visited the school in early July. Inspectors praised the school’s leaders for creating “a highly aspirational culture of academic performance, moral development and civic duty” where “pupils and teachers believe that anything is possible”.
The Ofsted report identifies a high quality of teaching, and an effective use of assessments to support pupils’ progress. Pupils’ excellent attitudes to their studies and high standards of behaviour were found to enable lessons to run smoothly.
Ofsted inspectors were impressed by the strong management of the school and leaders’ support of staff through extensive and effective training. As a result, Inspectors found, “teaching and the leadership of teaching are consistently improving”.
Inspectors also judged the school’s performance management systems to be effective, allowing leaders “to intervene swiftly when a pupil’s progress slows or attendance dips”. Consequently, pupils’ progress and attendance was deemed “very strong”.
Key findings of Ofsted’s report include:
- The formal and wider curriculum is broad and varied. It offers a wide range of interesting and sometimes unusual activities… All pupils have access to a wide range of cultural, sporting and creative activities in addition to their core curriculum.
- Teachers plan lessons that carefully match pupils’ needs. They have high expectations and offer high levels of challenge across a range of subjects.
- Leaders make sure that pupils are well prepared for life in modern Britain. Fundamental British values are embedded into the life of the school.
- Pupils are polite, thoughtful and kind to one another. They are mature while also enjoying activities exuberantly.
- Pupils are increasingly articulate as they spend time in the school because there are so many opportunities for well-focused discussion across the curriculum.
- Pupils make extremely strong progress from their starting points… While disadvantaged pupils’ progress is not as strong as that of other pupils in the school, it is still stronger than pupils with similar starting points nationally.
- Leaders take time to make careful plans for meeting the individual needs of pupils who have special educational needs and/or disabilities. All aspects of these pupils’ needs are taken into account, including their social and emotional development, and these pupils’ attendance is very strong, well above the national average. As a result, they make rapid progress from their starting points.
- Pupils’ attendance is well above the national average.
Linda Thompson, Principal of Eden Girls’ School, Coventry, said, “The entire school community is thrilled with the findings of our recent Ofsted inspection.
“What stands out for me in the inspectors’ report is the praise for our pupils – as motivated learners, as engaged citizens, as thoughtful and respectful young people – and that is incredibly satisfying.
“The inspectors also recognised the support the school’s staff provide for pupils in all areas of their development, not just academic. I’m proud of the role of my staff in supporting these girls to become confident, mature and very able citizens who will go on to do wonderful things.
“I’m also pleased that the inspectors recognised the Star systems we have put into place to drive up standards of teaching further across all subjects.”
Afzal Ismail, Chair of Governors at Eden Girls’ School, Coventry, added, “It’s very satisfying that the inspectors highlighted the contribution of governors in the school’s continuous improvement, recognising the experience and expertise we collectively bring to the school. We will continue to work with the school and the Trust to nurture today’s young people and inspire tomorrow’s leaders.
“Congratulations to everyone at Eden Girls’ School, Coventry. This is an inspection report to be proud of.”
The full Ofsted report can be found on the Eden Girls’ School, Coventry website.
All three of the Trust’s free schools that opened in September 2014 have now been inspected by Ofsted and achieved an ‘outstanding’ rating.
Added By: Star Academies | Date Added: 11th Sep 2017 | Posted In: Latest News